The world is a fascinating and beautiful place, but it can also be incredibly strange. So strange, in fact, that the things you once thought beautiful and lovely turn out to have a secret, more sinister side to them.
Don’t believe it? Look no further than these 31 disturbing truths. Once you see them, you can never unsee them.
1. They may look innocent, but don’t be fooled! In a pinch, butterflies love to drink blood.
2. In ancient Rome, people used dried mouse brains as toothpaste.
3. If their baby has a cold, Inuit mothers suck snot directly from their children’s noses.
4. Those raisins you’re enjoying are allowed to have up to 10 bugs and 35 fruit fly eggs in them, according to the FDA.
5. Even your peanut butter isn’t safe. It can contain up to 150 bug parts and 5 rodent hairs!
6. Your toilet isn’t anywhere near as dirty as your phone, a restaurant menu, or even an ATM.
7. Twenty percent of mugs in offices contain fecal matter.
8. Luckily, only 16% of cell phones have fecal matter on them. So that’s something.
9. Baby koalas have a favorite snack, and that snack is their mom’s poop.
10. Fecal matter can travel through up to 10 layers of toilet paper.
11. The average person eats up to one pound of bugs a year, usually mixed into other food.
12. Your feet produce over 20 liters of sweat a year!
13. If you can smell something, that means its molecules are adhering to the insides of your nose.
14. The odds are higher that you’ll get killed trying to buy a lottery ticket than the odds of winning the lottery itself.
15. More than 250 types of bacteria can be exchanged in just one kiss.
16. Most things we know about hypothermia were gleaned from the human experiments perpetrated by the Nazis.
17. Male chicks often get tossed into grinders by humans because they aren’t considered as yummy as hens.
18. 2,500 left-handed people die every year using objects designed for right-handed people.
19. Ice machines are never cleaned. That’s why they have an internal “slime guard.”
20. George H. W. Bush was the only surviving member of a World War II army plane crash that ended in every other soldier being eaten by cannibals.
21. Every mattress doubles in weight over 10 years. Thanks, accumulated dust mites!
22. When a male lion takes over a pride, he kills all the male cubs.
23. There are more empty houses in the U.S. than there are homeless people.
24. 15% of the air you breathe when waiting for the subway is actually human skin particles.
25. There are 200 known dead bodies on the way up Mount Everest. Climbers use them as landmarks.
26. There is a Mexican island where hundreds of supposedly haunted dolls hang from trees.
27. There is an actual human skull in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. It’s on a propped-up pirate skeleton, resting in his bed.
28. Koalas can give humans chlamydia.
29. Human heads are conscious for eight seconds after decapitation.
30. Due to their high potassium levels, bananas are slightly radioactive.
31. Because of its high salt content, it takes up to 10 minutes to die by drowning in the ocean.
Hard to believe this stuff is true, but hey, you learn something new every day. In the case of this list, you learn something new and terrifying everyday!
Share these disturbing facts with your friends below!